Monday, October 25, 2010

Starting Things Out Not Right


So I really want to start things off properly, with who I am, what I do, and why I do what I do. I mean, it drives me crazy when a blog just springs into existence, and you're supposed to know that the blogger you love used to be a part of such and such community, but felt that it was too clique-y, so she left. It's disappointing to hunt through a blog's archives, hoping to find the equivalent of an origin story and come up empty handed, which I may or may not have obsessively done before. But I really need to talk about the cake cooling on my dining room talbe right now, before I do something horrible, like eat it.

Oh, this cake. This seemingly simple chocolate cake is actually supposed to be slathered with peanut butter cream cheese frosting, and topped with chocolate peanut butter, kind of like this. (Also, the spiced applesauce cake she has on her front page needs to find its way into my belly ASAP!) Instead, it's destined to be something else, but what that "else" is, I'm not sure.
I volunteered to make a birthday cake for my husband's uncle, for his surprise party this weekend. When I asked his kids (who are planning this shindig and who are teenagers, though I suppose that can't be held against them) I received a request for a dark chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream. A little ho hum. So I went for the darkest chocolate cake I know of, this guy.

Now I could just make some Swiss meringue buttercream, fill it, frost it, and call it a day, but, again, ho hum. Instead, I'm thinking of filling it with some sort of whipped chocolate ganache, and frosting it with white chocolate buttercream, so it's kind of a triple chocolate cake without (hopefully) being overkill. I'm about to go diggint through my favorite cake book, Sky High, to see what I can find, and this cake layer is about to go in the freezer, safe from danger.

It's going to be a busy week; I'm making a cake pops for a friend's Halloween party, and I really want to make monster cupcakes for my family for Halloween. Oh, and this party, on Saturday. I also want to cover my younger daughter's first birthday party, which happened a couple of weeks ago, so lots more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment